Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/realestatenet/public_html/forum/archive/index.php on line 76
Malaysia Real Estate :: View topic - a mutual fund that was rolled over to buy more mutual funds

HOME  -    PROPERTY ADS   -   DISCUSSION FORUM   -   REALTORS   -   LINKS    -   CONTACT US

Realtors and Real Estate Agents - Sign Up for Free Account at Property.net.my >>

Malaysia Real Estate
Malaysia Real Estate Portal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a mutual fund that was rolled over to buy more mutual funds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia Real Estate Forum Index -> Mutual Funds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanthia Alysha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: a mutual fund that was rolled over to buy more mutual funds Reply with quote

I started out with two mutual funds. When I transferred them to a new investment company those two funds were used to buy three new mutual funds. This year I sold all three funds. I'm using turbo tax and I understand how to report the three I sold but I really lost on how to report the first two I had and never actually got any cash for.

There were no gains or losses on them so I'm not sure how to enter the information. Help!
salenacaitlyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to "get cash" to have a capital gain or loss. From your description, it appears that you sold the first two funds to get money to buy the last three funds. When you sold the first two funds, the amount you received for them determines whether you had a gain or a loss on each, which you have to report on your tax return. Then, your initial investment (or "basis") the in the last three funds is the amount you paid to buy them, not the amount you paid to buy the first two funds which you later sold.

Summary: Report all 5 transactions as if you sold the first two funds for cash, and then bought the last three funds also for cash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia Real Estate Forum Index -> Mutual Funds All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: